Typical Yellow Jacket locations
- Yellow jackets can often be found in several locations around a house and/or property. They tend to make nests underground, where the elements of weather can be avoided. It’s important to implement control before they become a huge problem and safety issue.
- It’s common to find yellow jackets in the autumn/fall when opening and closing a pool or cleaning out a garage and/or shed.
- Yellow jacket problems are typically fairly obvious. Usually, you will hear a buzzing sound and then quickly see the yellow and black insect fly from a hidden enclosure. When seen around your home, yellow jackets will tend to seek shelter in cracks and crevices of your house, not to mention their love of natural gas.
- Yes, beware of your gas meter, as the insects are known to congregate around them.
- After you identify a problem, the next step is to consider control and plan on removal. Yellow jacket removal can be challenging depending on the location of the nest and the number of insects.
Why are there yellow jackets around my home?
- It’s common to find yellow jackets in the attic, garage, soffit and/or eaves of a house because these locations are often untouched on a daily basis and provide ample protection from the elements of weather, humans and other animals/insects.
- It is rare to find a nest in the main living quarters of a house, but you may notice a lone yellow jacket or two enter through an open window, door or unsealed entryway.
- Once you identify a yellow jacket problem, the next step is to consider how to get rid of them using one of many control methods.
Yellow Jacket Damages
- If left uncontrolled, yellow jackets can cause a lot of damage and pose health and safety risks for families and pets.
- Many people begin swatting and shooing at yellow jackets, but this can irritate and encourage them to sting or hide. When found or uncovered unexpectedly, a yellow jacket may immediately sting and some can sting numerous times.
- Some yellow jackets die after stinging once, but some can continue to sting and draw in other yellow jackets because they feel endangered.
- Small children and pets are at risk, so yellow jacket control should be considered at the first sign of a problem.
Effective Yellow Jacket Removal
- Contact your local Critter Control specialist that knows how to get rid of yellow jackets to safely and effectively provide removal services. The removal specialist will close holes, remove nests and yellow jackets and provide tips to prevent them from coming back.
- They can also provide ideas on how to control yellow jackets and how to get rid of yellow jackets at the first signs. A small yellow jacket problem can quickly become a large problem, so it’s important to contact an expert.
Yellow Jacket Prevention
- The best way to prevent a yellow jacket problem is to control and remove yellow jackets as soon as you notice signs.
- If you have noticed a yellow jacket problem in your house, your garage or your shed, it is important to check these areas each spring and fall.
- It is best to remove the nest when it is small, instead of waiting until the nest attracts hundreds of yellow jackets.