Starling Removal Services
In short, if any animal is disrupting your routine, as starlings (an invasive species) often do, removal becomes necessary.
- Starlings require three features of all their habitats: open, grassy areas for feeding, water sources, and several trees or buildings with suitable nesting cavities.
- So long as these requirements are met, starlings will gather in large numbers.
- Favored environments include cities, ranches, farms, open woodlands, fields and lawns.
- The birds avoid dense forests, scrublands, and deserts.
Common Starling Problems
- Residential lawns offer starlings an abundance of some of their preferred diet, including grasshoppers, beetles, flies, caterpillars, snails, earthworms and spiders.
- They prefer to construct their homes on the outsides of buildings as opposed to nesting in attics, as many other birds do.
- Additionally, starlings cause trouble on farms where livestock are kept by stealing food and spreading diseases.
- When they gather in particularly large numbers, starling flocks riddle golf courses, lawns and parks with holes while they forage, damaging costly landscaping.
- Finally, their droppings are odorous and can encourage the spread of respiratory diseases.
- Bird prevention methods like mesh netting and bird spikes can be used to keep starlings from accessing favored nesting areas while methods like scare tactics, including flashing lights and loud noises, frighten the birds away from the general area.
- Property owners can also employ several preventative measures to discourage starlings (and other birds) from coming onto your property.
- Helpful actions include sealing off any openings on the exteriors of buildings greater than one inch in diameter, trimming tree branches, fitting outdoor trash bins with lids, keeping gutters clean of debris and eliminating sources of pooling water.
Trapping and Removal
Approaching a starling is not recommended, as they can become aggressive if they feel threatened. If starling flocks are causing problems, Critter Control of Ann Arbor's technicians can help get rid of the pest birds. Industry tools and extensive training keep our specialists safe throughout the removal process. We can help you get rid of starling problems in the Brighton, Howell, Chelsea, Washtenaw County and Ypsilanti regions. Call today or visit our contact form!Request a Quote